Z is for Zucchini and Chocolate

Zucchinis are in oversupply in our region at the moment which means I have been getting lots of free ones through my dad.  While we are using them up in bolognaise sauce and rissoles I thought I would try something different and use them in a cake recipe.  I have read a lot of recipes for chocolate and zucchini cakes and while I don't completely agree with hiding vegetables just to get kids to eat them there is something to be said for combining them with a food the kids love.  In Bear and Bee's case that would be cupcakes and muffins.  And since Bee helped make these muffins she knows the zucchini is in there.

I chose this recipe after some research.  Many of the chocolate zucchini cupcake recipes I found also had high levels of sugar and fat.  I don't really see the point of adding veggies to something that is unhealthy in other ways.

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

So I was very happy when I found this recipe for Low Fat Chocolate Zucchini Muffins on SparkRecipes.  I essentially followed the original recipe.  Even though the measurements are American I used my Australian measuring cups and spoons and found the end result batter to be really good.  It was actually more like a cupcake batter so if you like your muffins to be more dense add more flour.  And since I don't like doing more steps than necessary I used self raising flour in place of the flour and baking soda.  I also left out the salt as we try to keep our salt intake as low as possible.  I think next time we will try these with applesauce in place of the oil, as suggested in the ratings to low the fat content even more.

After a few necessary and very satisfactory taste tests, this batch was off to playgroup with us. 

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Makes 18
Download a free recipe card for this recipe here.

Ingredients
1/3 cup boiling water 
2 cups grated zucchini
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup cocoa 
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten 
1 teaspoon vanilla

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line muffins trays with paper cases (you will need 18 lined muffin holes).

Chocolate Zucchini MuffinsChocolate Zucchini Muffins
2. In large bowl, pour boiling water over the zucchini.

 Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
3. Add in the dry ingredients and mix well.

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

4. Mix together the oil, eggs and vanilla and add to the zucchini mix.

5. Stir just until just combined. Don't over mix or your muffins will be tough.

6. Divide the muffin batter evenly among the paper cases.

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly touched in the centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment