S is for Savoury Muffins for The Kids Cook Monday

Mondays are busy days for us with Bear and Bee having music classes and dance classes on the same day.  Add to that trying to catch up with friends for a playdate (and some adult conversation) and cooking for my weekly The Kids Cook Monday post and I know I have to be super organised to get through the day.

For our playdate today we decided to meet at a local playground for lunch so I decided the girls and I would cook something to take to share for lunch rather than having Bear and Bee help me cook dinner tonight.  With Bear's love of muffins and Bee's interest in anything that remotely resembles bread we decided on this recipe for savoury muffins from over at Roar Sweetly's blog. I know we are on a bit of a bread theme at the moment but if the girls will eat it I'm sticking to it!

S is for Savoury Muffins

I decided to change the recipe slightly to suit our family's tastes.  Rather than 1 cup of cooked bacon (which would have been way too salty for Bee) I increased the vegies to 1 and 3/4 cups and used 1/4 cup of chopped ham.  Also the original recipe called for the muffins to be baked for 20 minutes however I found this wasn't long enough. 


Not only did these Savoury Muffins taste great for lunch, hubby and I enjoyed them for dinner as a side to our slow cooker Beef and bean stew. I love comfort food!

Savoury Muffins
Original recipe from Roar Sweetly

Makes 12

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
2 cups grated cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped ham
1 3/4 cups of vegetables (We used peeled and grated zucchini, grated carrot and a small tin of corn kernels)
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Grease a 12 hole regular muffin tray.  I used a cooking spray to make the job easier. It's best not to line the tray with paper cases as they tend to stick to savoury muffins.

S is for Savoury Muffins
Measuring in the flour





S is for Savoury Muffins
Adding the cheese
S is for Savoury Muffins
In goes the ham

S is for Savoury Muffins
Plus the vegies
3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cheese, ham and vegetables.

S is for Savoury Muffins
Cracking eggs is something I get Bee and Bear to practise as much as possible

S is for Savoury Muffins
Combining the milk and egg


4. In a measuring jug or small bowl, mix together the milk and egg.

S is for Savoury Muffins

5. Add the milk mix to the flour mixture and gently combine.  Try not to over mix the muffin batter or the muffins will turn out tough and chewy.

S is for Savoury Muffins

6. Spoon the mixture evenly into each hole of the muffin tray.

S is for Savoury Muffins

7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and the muffins spring back when pressed lightly in the centre.

1 comment:

  1. So thrilled to see this recipe featured on your blog! What wonderful little cooks you have there.

    ReplyDelete