B is for Baking

If in doubt - bake! That's the philosophy we have been going by lately in the threefootcooks household.  We are having shocking weather at the moment - nothing like the flooding and bushfires other parts of Australia have been experiencing but it just won't stop raining here.  I'm not sure where the 'beautiful one day - perfect the next' Queensland weather has gone but I sure wish it would hurry up and come back.  We are definitely not used to having wet feet here and are all starting to go a little stir crazy. 

Anyway back to baking.  At the moment, when I ask Bear and Bee what they want to do because its raining and they can't play outside, they answer with 'Help you Cook Mum!'.  So besides getting a lot of help cooking dinner I have also been baking biscuits and cupcakes (their most requested items) with the girls. 

Last Wednesday we made Strawberry Yoghurt Cupcakes using Nicole's recipe from Planning with Kids.  They have certainly been a hit and I actually managed to freeze some un-iced ones for a later date. 

Baking
Bee happily showing off her cupcake, plus mum and dad's.

Baking
Bear was very proud of her cupcake.

On Friday we made Sugar Cookies using this recipe from Martha Stewart's site.  I made sure I used my dry measure cup with the American cup measurements on it for the flour etc and the cookies turned out beautifully.  Bee and Bear had lots of fun cutting them out using their new princess cutters and decorating them with icing tubes.  I am sorry I didn't get any photos of the end results - they were certainly a riot of colour.  I also managed to squirrel away a few of these cookies in the freezer for another rainy day when we are looking for something to do.

Baking
Pressing stamps into the cookie dough.

Even with our humidity, there is something comforting about baking on a rainy day.  Looking at the forecast for the coming week we are going to have a few more so keep an eye out for some more baked treats including apple pie.

What do you like to cook with your child on a rainy day?


No comments:

Post a Comment