M is for Meal Planning


I have been planning a weekly menu for our family for over 5 years now.  It makes life so much easier.  The weeks I don't get the menu done are the ones where we spend more money on groceries and take away meals.

There are tons of reasons planning a weekly menu for my famly is a good idea.  Apart from saving money on groceries by only buying what we need I am more organised and I can plan around busy days.  I also have a better idea of what we are eating nutrition wise and can make sure we eating 5 serves of vegetables and 2 serves of fruit each day (or as close as we can).

Starting on the menu planning journey can be quite daunting at first. I found Nicole over at Planning with Kids has some great meal ideas and menu planning tips.

Now that we have settled into our new home in North Queensland, I am also going to be more intentional about getting Bear and Bee to help with the cooking again.  While we have been doing lots of baking together I haven't been getting them to help cook dinner like we used to.  Both girls have started pestering me and hubby to help with dinner preparation so I have decided to pick 1 or 2 meals each week that they can help with.  I am going to highlight them on our weekly menu too so we don't forget.

If you don't yet plan a weekly menu or have only just started I am going to post a copy of what is on our plan each week.  I usually plan on the weekend so we can do the grocery shopping on Monday.  It doesn't really matter when you do your shopping.  Just adjust the plan to suit your week.  If you would like a copy of the template I use to plan with click on link below the image.  I found the original template on Tip Junkie but the link no longer works so I designed my own with a few changes to the column headings.

Download the menu template HERE.

So check back here each Saturday, or better yet subscribe to receive my posts by email, to get a copy of our weekly menu plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment